Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Asian Salad with Red Peppers


I've been blogging for almost 2 years now.  Back in the early days, when I had no idea what I was doing, I posted a recipe that has always been a big hit in my family for an asian slaw/salad.  Though the salad is great, I cringe a little lot when I go back and look at my early posts.  The pictures are pretty awful.  Hard to believe I was using the same camera then as I do now.  I'm always working to improve my photography skills and I still have a lot to learn, but looking back makes me realize just how far I've come.  Wonder what things will look like in another two years...

Somehow nearly two years has passed since I've made this salad.  Which is a shame, because I remembered how much I love it when my family served it at our Christmas day dinner this past year.  It's refreshing.  It's crunchy.  It's green onion-ey.  It's sweet and tangy all at the same time.  And it's incredibly easy to make.

When I saw a head of cabbage at our local farmer's market, it was on.  I decided to waiver slightly from the original recipe by adding some finely sliced red peppers.  I had an excess of red peppers in the fridge from a Costco run. I thought they would complement the other flavors in the salad nicely, not to mention bringing a pretty burst of red among a rather monotone landscape of colors.  Hubby and I enjoyed the addition of the peppers and I will plan to include them going forward. 


We typically eat this salad as a side dish, but if you add some grilled chicken or rotisserie chicken, this could easily be a main course.  I like to toss the dressing with the salad about 10 minutes before I plan to serve it to allow the dressing to slightly soften the hearty cabbage. This dish is a crowd pleaser and would be great for a party.   Did I mention this is easy to make?  It is super easy.  And you should totally make it and thank me later. ;) 

Enjoy!

Asian Salad with Red Peppers

Serves 6-8 people
1/2 head thinly sliced cabbage or 16 oz bag of cabbage mix
1 package chicken Top Ramen
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
1/2 cup slivered almonds
4 green onions thinly sliced
1 red pepper, stem and seeds removed, thinly sliced
Dressing:
Whisk together the following and chill
3 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons white vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil (do not substitute olive oil)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
Flavor packet from Top Ramen
Place uncooked ramen noodles in a ziploc bag and crush into small pieces using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Place crushed ramen, sesame seeds and almonds on a baking sheet. Toast in a 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden. Toss slaw, red peppers, green onions, ramen, sesame seeds, almonds in dressing. Let the salad sit for about 10 minutes before serving to allow dressing to soften the cabbage a bit.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm - this salad looks so delicious and refreshing. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this recipe! I had this at a work potluck once and it was wonderful! I've thought about it ever since. And it is amazing how much we can learn, huh? I'm still a horrible photographer, but my photos are SO much better than they used to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my daughters favorite salad. The addittion of red peppers is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete